Thursday 26 July 2012

DIY Bracelets

The sister in law reminded me over the weekend that Raksha Bandhan is coming up on 2nd August this year.  Although I don't believe in god, I was brought up in a Hindu household and I love the traditions.  Raksha Bandhan is a Hindu festival where a sister ties a rakhi (sacred thread) around her brother's wrist to show her love for him and he accepts it and promises to protect her.  The sister also feeds the brother something sweet (this should be an Indian sweet, but in my family its usually a bit of chocolate!), and the brother gives a present to his sister - my favourite bit :)

This year I decided to make my own bracelets instead of buying them from the local Indian market and so I trotted off to the local art shop instead!



Memories of making friendship bracelets weren't too hard to dig out and with a bit of sellotape I started plaiting. 

Nice bright colours to make sure that my brother can't hide his bracelet :)


A few minutes later I have a bracelet ready to tie around my brother's wrist.  Just a couple more to make for the cousins and we're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment